Backup Delete Options

Topics related to Version 3 of AutomatiCloud
jtwp

Backup Delete Options

Post by jtwp »

Can someone explain the options below on the Backup EC2 Instance and Volume Snapshot?

So if I set up a job to create a single Instance Volume Snapshot every Friday at 20:00, what will it delete after X number of Days in the first option?

What then will it do with the Weekly and Monthly options?

And will leaving them all blank not delete anything?
backup.png
backup.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 69426 times
Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Backup Delete Options

Post by admin »

With AutomatiCloud you can define three separate sets of snapshots. You can identify them by checking their tags:

Daily: Standard snapshots created based on your job schedule. All daily snapshots that are older then the "delete after" combobox are deleted. If you leave this box empty no daily snapshots will be deleted.
Weekly:By selecting a weekday in the weekly combo box you can change the type of one daily snapshot to a weekly snapshot. For all weekly snapshots you can define a separate retention period (in weeks). Selecting "2 weeks" will delete all weekly snapshots (and only them) that are older than 2 weeks. Leaving it empty will keep the weekly snapshots forever.
monthlyBy selecting a week of month in the monthly combo box you can change the type of one weekly snapshot to a monthly snapshot. For all monthly snapshots you can define a separate retention period (in months). Selecting "12 months" will delete all monthly snapshots (and only them) that are older than 12 months. Leaving it empty will keep the monthly snapshots forever.

A standard setup up is:
Daily snapshots on MON,TUE, WED, THU, FRI, SAT. Keep 7 days
Weekly snapshots on SUN. Keep 4 weeks.
Monthly snapshots on first week. Keep 12 Months.

With this approach you have one week of daily, one month of weekly and one year of monthly backups and allocate storage for just 6+3+11=20 snapshots.

Stephan
jtwp

Post by jtwp »

Thanks for this. Can you also set these on independent jobs? So have a Daily job that just handles the retention for Daily Snaps. Then have a whole new job that just does a Weekly Snap and deletes after X number of Weeks, and then again for a Monthly? I'd just rather have this so I can name each snapshot accordingly. Or does it have to all be in one job for the Weekly and Monthly actions to occur?

Also, I can't seem to edit the No. of Weeks or Months. Whatever I choose, after updating it goes back to 4 Weeks and 12 Months?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can set up three jobs but I would not recommend this. The snapshots are already tagged with the JobID, the tags you added and DAILY, WEEKLY and MONTHLY named tags. What else do you need?
Regarding the retention period you are right. The dialog always shows 4 weeks and 12 months. The values are stored correctly but are not displayed. This will be fixed in the next version.

Stephan
jtwp

Post by jtwp »

Ah, I didn't realise it already tagged them with those values. That's great.

So, the values just show in error. If I update the Weekly number to 2, it will delete the snap after 2 weeks, even though in the gui it says 4, right?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

correct.

Stephan
bobalger

Post by bobalger »

I have a daily volume snapshots job setup as discussed in this thread but it appears that the job is deleting all snapshots older than 7 days?

I would like to keep 7 daily, (only 5 daily as job only runs, Tues - Sat at 2:30am)
4 weekly
12 monthly

Would be 5 + 3 + 11 = 19

Screen shot of job setup is attached along with software version and AWS snapshot view.

Thank you.
Attachments
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (59.13 KiB) Viewed 68630 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (22.32 KiB) Viewed 68630 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (46.22 KiB) Viewed 68630 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you please send me the background service log by mail. You can find it in the help menu.

Stephan
bobalger

Post by bobalger »

I emailed the service log to support at automaticloud.net

Please let me know if you need anything else.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Your weekly jobs are planned for Monday. But your job is not running on Mondays so they are never created.

Stephan