Creating Windows AMI images from Snapshots

Topics related to Version 3 of AutomatiCloud
tanders645

Creating Windows AMI images from Snapshots

Post by tanders645 »

Hi,

I am evaluating Automaticloud, and have found the scheduled snapshots work very well. However, when I create an AMI image from one of the snapshots to restore a copy, it is not properly identified as a Windows machine. I can create the AMI and deploy an instance from it, but AWS appear to identify it as a LINUX instance rather than a Windows instance. When I use AWS tools to create the snapshots and create AMI images from the snapshots, they are identified as Windows instances.

Is there something I am overlooking?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Creating Windows AMI images from Snapshots

Post by admin »

Can you please open the EC2 dashboard in AWS console and select Images/AMI. Now you should see all your AMIs. Please check the "Platform" column. Is this "Windows"?

Stephan
tanders645

Post by tanders645 »

No the show as other Linux.

When I select the snapshot to create the AMI image, it appears that AWS does not recognize that it is a Windows snapshot to begin with. I can change the Virtualization type from paravirtualization to Hardware assisted, but the Kernel ID only lists various flavors of Linux. If I leave it a default and create the AMI, I can deploy an instance from the AMI and the instance will boot as Windows and I can log into it, but AWS thinks it is a Linux instance.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How did you create the AMI?
A: Using a "Backup EC2 Instance Job" and manual AMI creation in AWS console?
B: Using a "Create AMI Job"?

Please try option B and see if this works.

Stephan
tanders645

Post by tanders645 »

I was using Option A. I will try Option B.

Thanks,