Creating and restoring a AWS Windows Instance

Topics related to Version 3 of AutomatiCloud
akiratee

Creating and restoring a AWS Windows Instance

Post by akiratee »

Hi there

I have installed AutomatiCloud and managed to successfully schedule and execute snapshot creation. I have installed AutomatiCloud on the same instance as the one which I am backing up (so I chose to NOT stop/start instance while creating snapshot).

Now I have a question on how I can restore the instance. From what I have read, it seems that restoring of a Windows instance from a snapshot might run into issues, and the suggestion is to create AMIs instead of just snapshots.

Thus, I have several questions.

1. Which option should I choose when backing up my instance? Should it be 'Backup EC2 Instance' or 'Create AMI'?

2. For the option which I choose, is it OK to not start/stop instance when creating the snapshot? This is because right now I am installing AutomatiCloud on the same instance I am backing up.

3. What is the step by step way for me to restore the instance, after creating the snapshot/ami? I would like to test the restoration/disaster recovery flow .
admin
Site Admin

Re: Creating and restoring a AWS Windows Instance

Post by admin »

The best backup strategy depends on your use case:

- If it is an option to stop your instance for a few minutes you should definitely go this way. It will guarantee a consistent snapshot. "Backup EC2" will create snapshots of all mounted volumes. In case of recovery you have to mount them "by hand". "Create AMI" will also create snapshots of all volumes. In addition it will bundle them in one package that is ready to run.
- If you can't afford to stop your instance before creating snapshots you might end up with an inconsistent state. Depending on your applications this can be a problem.
- If your application supports VSS (like Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle Database) you can implement our AutomatiCloud Agent. This agent ensures consistent backups without stopping services.

Stephan