Volume Snapshots - Email 'snapshot is currently in use'

Topics related to Version 3 of AutomatiCloud
asd

Volume Snapshots - Email 'snapshot is currently in use'

Post by asd »

Hi - we're using Version 3.2.638.2241

Last week we had to restore an AWS instance from a snapshot as the 'underlying hardware' on the hypervisor had failed.

Since then we received EC2ConfigService event log errors in the instance stating that the account was not authorised. To remedy this we re-ran the permissions script as follows:
{
"Version": "2012-10-17",
"Statement": [
{
"Effect": "Allow",
"Action": [
"ec2:DescribeInstances",
"ec2:DescribeVolumes",
"ec2:StartInstances",
"ec2:StopInstances",
"ec2:CreateSnapshot",
"ec2:DeleteSnapshot",
"ec2:DescribeSnapshots",
"ec2:CopySnapshot",
"ec2:CreateTags",
"rds:DescribeDBInstances",
"rds:CreateDBSnapshot",
"rds:DeleteDBSnapshot",
"rds:DescribeDBSnapshots",
"rds:ListTagsForResource",
"ssm:UpdateInstanceInformation",
"ssm:ListAssociations"
],
"Resource": [
"*"
]
}
]
}

Which has supressed these errors, however I don't know if that was related to our current issue:

The snapshots are being taken, however we now receive an email indicating a backup failure, with the content:

Exception: The snapshot snap-xxxxxxxxxxxxx is currently in use by ami-xxxxxxxx Job Type: Create EC2 Snapshot Job Name: ABC Backup Job ID: i-5e4d74d6-201608310836333773

One for each disk in the instance. The other servers (which were not re-created) are not sending this notification. Do we need to make a config change?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Volume Snapshots - Email 'snapshot is currently in use'

Post by admin »

I think AutomatiCloud is trying to clean up the old snapshots. This fails because they are part of the AMI you created for your restore.
Please check the snapshot ids. If this is the case you have two options:
- If you want to keep the AMI, you can remove the jobid tag from the snapshot. AutomatiCloud will not try to delete them anymore.
- If you don't need the AMI any more, you can deregister it. AutomatiCloud will clean up the snapshots.

Stephan
asd

Re: Volume Snapshots - Email 'snapshot is currently in use'

Post by asd »

Thank you Stephan, you were quite right.