AutomatiCloud as a service?

Topics related to Version 3 of AutomatiCloud
admin
Site Admin

AutomatiCloud as a service?

Post by admin »

Hi Support

I’m currently trialling v3 of the software which seems to do everything I need. However, is there an option to run the software as a service? If I close the interface it seems to stop completely, ideally it would be good if we could run this as a service so it’s always running in the background. If you can let me know if this is possible that would be great. It’s running on a 2012 server.

Thanks

Guy
admin
Site Admin

Re: AutomatiCloud as a service?

Post by admin »

Hi,

AutomatiCloud has a user front end (AutomatiCloud.exe) where you can add and edit your jobs. All jobs are stored in a local database. There is also a background service running (ACSVC.EXE) that is executing the scheduled jobs.

Jobs are never executed by the user front end. You can close it and as long as your computer is running all jobs will be executed in the background.

regards

Stephan
guypilk

Post by guypilk »

Hi Stephan

Thanks for the prompt response. I found the service after I had sent you the email and the problem was it wasn’t running. I thought I’d let you know for future – it seems when the server is restarted (2012 Standard) the service fails to start. I’ve found changing the startup type from Automatic to Automatic (Delayed) seems to resolve the issue. I thought I’d let you know in case you come up against this with other people.

Thanks

Guy
chris

Post by chris »

FYI I was having the same problem. The service was failing to start on computer startup with the "Service Control Manager" reporting that it "did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".

I tried "Automatic (Delayed Start)" also but had the same problem.

My solution has been to create a Scheduled Task to run 5 minutes after system startup. It runs the command "net start acsvc". This seems to be working.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi

can you please increase the log level of the background service to "debug" in the ACSVC.exe.config file.

<root>
<level value="DEBUG" />
<appender-ref ref="FileAppender" />
</root>

and send me the logfile ACSVCLOG.TXT via PM after a restart of the server.

Regards
Stephan
chris

Post by chris »

Hi Stephan,

I've done as you suggested but unfortunately it is failing to start at system startup without logging anything via log4net.

Note I confirmed my DEBUG level config change was okay as it logs DEBUG messages when I start and stop the service manually. However nothing is being added to the log during system startup.

I tried both "Automatic" and "Automatic (Delayed Start)" startup types with the same result.

FYI I'm getting the following two errors in the Windows Event log each time I restart the machine:

Source: Service Control Manager

(1) Event ID: 7009
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the AutomatiCloud service to connect.

(2) Event ID: 7000
The AutomatiCloud service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Regards,
Chris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sorry but I am not able to reproduce this.

Stephan
chris

Post by chris »

Sorry to hear you can't reproduce. Some additional information if it helps:

> I'm guessing it's happening as the machine I'm hosting it on is a very slow/old computer that takes ages to boot up.
> I've tested against the latest version (3.1) and the results are the same.