After volume is resized and its name changes, task fails and cannot be corrected

Topics related to Version 3 of AutomatiCloud
timfitzjca

After volume is resized and its name changes, task fails and cannot be corrected

Post by timfitzjca »

Issue #2 that we're having came up over the last few days after we resized one of the volumes for which we have a recurring job. The job now fails because the volume name was changed when it was resized. Two issues from this:

- The log doesn't show the failed attempt -- the only way we can tell that it failed is that if we view the raw log file, there's an error indicating that the volume does not exist. Shouldn't the in-app log show a failed result for this task?
- If we try to edit the task to correct the volume name, the volume drop-down fails to populate and since text cannot manually be entered in this field, there is no way to fix the task, so we have to recreate it from scratch.

Thanks!
Tim
admin
Site Admin

Re: After volume is resized and its name changes, task fails and cannot be corrected

Post by admin »

Volumes are referenced by their volume-id and not by their name. Can you please post the error message from the log.
Do you have a license? For volumes larger than 500GB you need one. If you resize your volume over this limit you will experience the effect you describe.
http://www.automaticloud.net/licensing/

Stephan
timfitzjca

Re: After volume is resized and its name changes, task fails and cannot be corrected

Post by timfitzjca »

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your replies. We do have a license. My saying "volume name" was inaccurate; I apologize -- I did mean to refer to the volume-id.

After the volume was resized, the task failed with this error:

ERROR AWSCreateSnapshotJob - Can't get volume status: vol-a9e25d4f (Exception: the volume 'vol-a9e25d4f' does not exist.)

Turned out the volume's id had changed, hence the error, but we couldn't select the new id from the volume-id dropdown because it wouldn't drop down when clicked.

We did find a workaround -- if you changed the instance on the task to a different instance and then went back, you could reselect the volume. It sounds like maybe the volume list just isn't being refreshed?

Thanks,
Tim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I will test this.

Stephan